Makinde has done his best but honestly as a critical stakeholder with understanding of the working system of governance, expectations and deliverables, he failed in very critical aspects of governance.
Governance is serious business. Not trials and error, just like flying an airplane, it’s about managing peoples lives and you can’t afford to experiment with it.
Here are some of the several errors of GSM and why he does not deserve a second term.
1. Insecurity of the worst level. His unrepentant attitude of hobnobbing with touts and dangerous gangsters is appalling.
We had thought that Ibadan and Oyo State has passed that level.
The kind of terror we are experiencing now again like the Adedibu days after HEK Senator Ajimobi has returned. And that is quite unacceptable with no apologies.
2. The exploitation of the controlled Park Management system is horrible and unimaginable. Quote me, it’s cheaper returning from Lagos or anywhere now than going to anywhere from Ibadan.
Transportation expenses have skyrocketed since the PMS started.
3. By not upholding the sanctity of Local Government Autonomy, this administration has crippled the LGs. Quite worrisome is the ack of trust in his lieutenants and aides at all levels. One need to listen to tales of woes of people in government! Though you will also wonder why they can’t leave and resign honorably.?
5. Abysmal failure in education. 50 Secondary Schools delisted by WAEC.
– No payment of subventions and running expenses at Schools.
Thanks to support from many Old Student Association of leading schools, otherwise, many schools would have been considered as no longer in existence.
6. Several trails of death horrors at PDP political outings.
Ibarapa, Iwo Road killings to mention just a few.
7. His poor handling of the AntiSars police encounter as the Chief Security officer of Oyo State is a great moral burden he won’t be able to take off for a long while. It’s better forgotten than to bring back the memories of the gory incidents.
8. Abysmal failure in management of the environment especially on Waste Management . Like a clueless people Ibadan and the whole of Oyo State will get enviable position in ranking among dirtiest States in Nigeria and I’m not exaggerating.
Looming epidemic! May God help us! As if prayers to God will help us pack up the dirty stuffs all over the Land!
9. Nothing in particular on achievements about Agriculture and opening up of Oke Ogun as he promised. I can’t understand the backward integration strategy of this administration.
Is it not that you get the Farm Settlements revived and expanded while almost simultaneously embark on Layout of Agro Allied Industrial schemes?
What is more described as Misplaced priorities
10. Wishy-washy infrastructures implemented and I’m not joking or being political.
I personally witnessed the collapse of POP roof on dignitaries at the refurbished Lekan Salami Stadium during a Sporting Games event held in Ibadan in December last year. A young Lady was saved by whiskers when the roof crashed as many guests mostly non indigenes sustained injuries. Aside the general uproar about the poor state of the refurbished work considered and adjudged to be substandard.
Same for road projects everywhere. Very disappointing for his status as an Engineer. I watched with dismay how locals were removing supposedly tared road materials with bare hands!
11. Sacrificing Integrity and Kindness on the altar of politics for selfish interest towards the several individuals who formed the coalition that assisted his emergence in 2019 are unforgivable iniquities. It’s not good to betray trust. He has grossly violated the principles of alliance formation, synergy and networking as factors for success in politics like it is in corporate governance.
If he is not taught the lessons of such misbehavior, it will serve as bad legacy where future gladiators will mistake such behaviors as ideal negating the reality of collectivism in managing Nation State and other serious institutionalized systems.
I just wonder why many people won’t learn from past experiences. Many which are very recent.!
12. Using Cronies and Associates as consultants managing State interests. Go to critical revenue collection centers at the Oyo State Secretariat, Agodi and you will think that you’re in Bayelsa, Cross Rivers, Rivers or Akwa Ibom States. Bros! it’s our in laws who are Lord Mayors and Mayoress in Oyo State since he assumed office.
Same thing in our various Government Departments and Institutions.
Our Son and brother thinks that our PS, Directors, VCs, College Rectors, Principals are all crooks who must be closely monitored under the watching eyes of external non indigenous consultants! Our In laws must help us watch the State purse!!!
Gbogbo wa kan Fi Owo leran a nwose Olorun ni L’Oyo wa yii naa.
13. The religious sentiments of GSM has no equal. I am a Christian with a Muslim background. It is this particular sin that has polarised Oyo political landscape today that may consume his re election bid. We must all rise to checkmate this ugly development that has never been this pronounced within our polity.
14. Almost total negligence of certain zones in Developmental projects of roads and other infrastructures. Ibarapa, Ogbomosho, Oyo Zones in particular.
He concentrated most of his efforts on Ibadan.
15. However, he must be appreciated for prompt payment of Salaries, gratuities and pensions for retirees nitori “Aise deede Ara aye la se nyin Ara Orun”.
That achievement on which GSM is harping his fantastic performance is statutory and for me it’s quite unfortunate and mundane that at this level and state of our lives as a people, we are celebrating such as milestone achievement.
This is not to downplay the impact of such statutory responsibility on the economic growth of the State.
I think Mr Seyi Makinde is just lucky that there is no strong opposition,
The handlers of opposition parties for whatever reasons have allowed a free reign without proper positioning of critical issues.
For me, the young man, is truly a (GSM) General Silly Mistake that must not be repeated in Oyo State again for another four years to avoid catastrophic disaster.