Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) Ogbomoso Alumni Association has warned Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State against the proposed remaining of the institution.
The alumni association explained that thousands of graduates of the institution would suffer in their workplaces if the governor goes ahead to rename the institution.
Months after attaining sole ownership, the Oyo State Government led by Makinde decided to rename the institution from Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) to Ladoke Akintola University (LAU).
The Newspaper reports that bill to change the current status of the 32-year-old ivory tower from a technical institution to a conventional university sailed through second reading in the Oyo State House of Assembly on Tuesday.
Recall, Governor Seyi Makinde officially wrote the House, requesting for the changing of the status of the university.
The bill tagged Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, LAUTECH Ogbomoso (Amendment) Law, 2022 will enable the institution to offer courses in humanities and other fields of study as approved by the National Universities Commission, NUC while it will also encourage and promote scholarship and conduct research in various fields of learning.
The alumni association of the institution has, however, raised the alarm that the proposed change of the name would affect them.
The association, after its emergency meeting, presided over by its global President, Hon. Solomon Onilede, insisted that thousands of graduates of LAUTECH at undergraduate, postgraduate and professional levels would suffer a huge setback in their places of work if the governor goes to rename the institution.
The association in a statement signed by its global secretary, Professor Azeem Ige, said that it is the prayer of the association that the name of the institution be retained.
The Decision Extract added that renaming of LAUTECH would demoralize all stakeholders.
LAUTECH ALUMNI ASSOCIATION (WORLD WIDE), LADOKE AKINTOLA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OGBOMOSO
EMERGENCY MEETING ON THE PROPOSED RENAMING OF LAUTECH
Emergency meeting of LAUTECH Alumni association (worldwide) was convened by the Global President (Hon. Solomon Onilede) on 10th and 11tth of February, 2022. The proposed renaming of the best state university “LAUTECH” by Oyo state government was deliberated upon. The meetings were held with all stake holders at different levels, members across the globe participated at the online (zoom), eminent professors, captains of industries, Students and other important stakeholders were in attendance. The physical meeting was held at senate chambers of LAUTECH. The decision extract is as depicted below.
• There was an extension of kudos to the founding fathers of LAUTECH for the wisdom and initiatives of establishing a University of Technology in line with global wave and the Executive Governor of Oyo State (Engr. Seyi Makinde) who sustained the dream by bringing LAUTECH back to limelight and emerged as the current best state University in Nigeria and a reference point among comity of Universities Globally
• That the enabling documents and technical papers that established the university had already captured all the programmes in different fields of study. These programme are to be rolled out in phases as the university advances; such as Agriculture, Engineering, Medicine, Sciences, Environmental sciences, Pharmacy, Law, Education, Arts, Social Sciences.
• That license to establish the University of Technology was given after due diligence and evaluation was carried out albinitio to the technical repor
• The word “Technology” does not reside in Engineering exclusively instead, it connotes advancement in different fields of study. Therefore, there is: Technology in law, Technology in Arts, Technology in Education, Technology in Pharmacy, Technology in Agriculture etc.
• That the strength of the university resides in the technical way of administering services in terms of Teaching, Research and Administration which have given the university its unmatched popularity among the comity of universities Nationally and Globally. Evidently LAUTECH currently wears the beaded crown as the best state university in Nigeria and has also been rated within Africa and the globe at large.
• That the unique name is LAUTECH
• That thousands of graduates of LAUTECH at Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Professional Levels, would suffer a huge setback in their places of work which might be irredeemable if the University is renamed.
• Renaming of LAUTECH would demoralize all stakeholders (Staff, Parents, Students, Immediate community, members of Alumni Association and would return the University to zero level.
• Global and national correspondences of would be greatly affected.
• Celebrating LAUTECH, the best State University should continue with proper funding for teaching and research so as to occupy a vintage position globally.
• There are several universities of Technology within the country and abroad that run numerous programmes such as laws, Technology, Education etc.
We sincerely appreciate Governor Seyi Makinde for his unalloyed support to the University.
It is our prayer that the branded name of LAUTECH be retained even to accommodate the name LAUTECH is strong enough to accommodate all other programmes as envisaged in the technical paper that established the University.
Prof. A.O Ige